View Single Post
Old 09-04-2023, 01:12 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by epike3 View Post
What a great thread!

Let me start by adding a few E229 sheet cuts. Not sure that will tell us anything new about what the full sheet looked like .... would be interested to learn more about how that set was produced and the dimensions of a full sheet if anyone has info on that.

Also have one "So Cripso" back from this set, only one I have seen or heard of. I wonder if the set was produced primarily for National Licorice and the manufacturer wanted to make a few more $$$ by offering to also print the cards to whomever they could find that was willing to pay to print with their back logo; and perhaps even the manufacturer offered to produce them for distribution with blank backs.

-Ed
Nice to see where some of the other panels ended up. I regret not going for them as hard as I did the T220's from that same find after the seller finally clued on but that managed to screw up the second sale batch for his consigner too.

I think I can help with some of this.

The size is not solved, but we probably just came closer to figuring it out as I have what must be a lot of the far left column of the sheet. I anticipate it is larger than people expected sheets of this period to be before the find, and similar to the T220 massive sheet. Looks like your top 2 panels clearly fit together and go above my left side column panels. Does the third one you have, the bottom one in your pic, line up exactly with the bottom cut of panel #2?

At absolute minimum, there are 18 cards per column.

This set was almost certainly printed by Brett Lithography. The panels were found in the New York area alongside a 92% complete set of panels that constitute the T220 Silver border set, and then sold for pennies on the dollar by being falsely listed as reprints by an antiques shop that declined to discuss what they actually had and refused contact. Feel bad for their client who brought them in, they got hosed. One of the T220 panels has a stamp on the back with the date and printer. This set of panels from the same find is presumably from the same printer; something an employee brought home at some point. Both sheets have significant evidence of being pinned to a wall before they were cut into sections.

Brett Lithography was a partner of the ATC. A ledger/journal/notebook from their lead project manager, Frank Fullgraff, is also known to survive though only a ew pages of its contents have been made public. It appears to me that Brett Lithogrpahy is likely a clandestine subsidiary of the American Lithographic Company. Some monopolies divided themselves and tried to keep their corporate holdings a secret as the state cracked down with the Sherman Act. The evidence is circumstantial, but we have found a sizable body of circumstantial evidence that Brett operated under the auspices of the ALC.

It was discovered that National Licorice is an ATC owned product, just like most of the T cards. We have not found the document, if one even existed, but it appears clear that the ATC had an exclusive deal for the cards with the printing firms they sourced production too. The printing firms didn't just print, they independently ran much of the tobacco monopolies marketing and even designed and named brands for the ATC themselves. The odd thing with this set is that while E229 was actually an ATC card release, I have found no evidence connecting the other brand backs (Juergen's/Koesters/So Crispo) had any ties to the American Tobacco Company. Perhaps because this was not a tobacco issue, it was not technically covered by the exclusive agreement that we can deduce had to exist for the T cards. It is also possible this exclusivity was not a legal document but a handshake deal; the two companies were very very close and their owners good friends. I suspect Duke may have had a sizable secret stake in the lithographers.

I don't really collect this set specifically but So Crispo is definitely very rare; Burdick didn't seem to even know about them. This set is not 1920's like it is commonly listed but clearly c. 1910-1911. The blank backs cards that crop up from time to time are not proofs. The bread backs are pretty tough too, from what I have seen.

The discovery thread on the boxing forum has the results of most of the research included; dead ends, false trails, and material evidence all: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309276