View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 07:08 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

A few years ago I won a tour of Yankee Stadium for 4 with some unidentified "Yankee World Series Great". Had low expectations at to who it would be and it turned out to be Dwight Gooden. He was clearly out of shape and looked a little the worse for wear, but have to say he was a pleasure to be around. Posed for endless photos, took questions for like 45 minutes, and was just great with everyone, particularly the kids on the tour. I came out of it with some enhanced sympathy for his situation. He looked like he was still battling addiction and no doubt did it for the money, but he showed up and my take was that he was happy to be cherished for a day and treated like royalty. I asked him who the toughest batter he had to deal with in the majors and his answer was Chili Davis.

I've told this story on the main board but one Fathers Day I met Tom Seaver at Shea Stadium (prob last season at Shea) where he was signing balls on fathers day in the Mets clubhouse store behind home plate. Few people were online for a $99 autographed ball. Me and my son got to the front of the line and as he was signing it (never looked at us) I wished him a happy fathers day. He just looked up dismissively and glared at me and sarcastically said "thanks Dad..." and rolled the ball back to us across the table. Never acknowledged my son. The whole experience was a bit surreal. The only think I though of was that maybe he had just lost a child and was pissed off I mentioned fathers day. Not the case and I still can't figure out what that was all about. I realize he suffered from dementia later in life but I don't think that was what this was about.

Me and some coworkers met Keith Hernandez a Manhattan bar one night maybe a decade ago. He was very cool. He recommended a bottle of wine and we all had a glass. The whole time he kept calling over the bartender (young enough to be his son) basically commented on every hot female who came in and out of the bar. And even commented on a few who were there the night before. Was about what I'd expect from Keith.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-29-2021 at 08:28 PM.