View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 11:32 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Higher prices make the authentication company look better. Given all the people who shilled the Mastro auctions for monetary gain, I don't understand why it is implausible that TPA employees would shill up their company's authenticated items for the same reason.
I actually hadn't thought of that angle. But, as I said, my personal rule is I wouldn't bid on anything I authenticated-- to steer way clear of any perception or even misperception of conflict of interest or whatever. That you were able to just come up with a new reason I hadn't thought of why not to bid is exactly why I wouldn't bid.

I think the entire authentication and grading aspect of the hobby is messed up on many fronts, which is why I don't participate in that. I used to write a few LOAs here and there (not suggesting there was great demand) and almost solely for collectors, but quit. That's no commentary on Kevin, as I have no special insight on his situation and have no reason to doubt what he says-- and I've never dealt with autographs. I just think that the ways things are set up, and the expectations of the hobby visa vie people giving opinions, is mixed up.

I did archiving for a historical museum and discovered they had no interest or knowledge what items were worth and had never sold a thing. The executive director was surprised when I pointed out that some of their items had market value, and another person there said she didn't think they were even legally allowed to sell anything. All they cared about was the items being accurately identified and described for their records. How refreshing, I thought. The museum's archiving system had its own set of annoying peculiarities, but maximizing resale value wasn't one of them.

Last edited by drcy; 02-09-2016 at 12:14 AM.