View Single Post
Old 10-17-2021, 03:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
You guys are looking at this the wrong way. The “fee” you are charged by an auction house is the reduction from the final selling price. Suppose an item in an auction hammers for $10,000. If the auction has a 20% buyers commission then the final price is $12,000. Even if you have no sellers commission you will only receive $10,000 so your effective fee is $2000. This is more than ebay would charge you. The only way to equalize the two is to also get part of the buyers commission. In the above example I am assuming that the card would also realize $12,000 on eBay. If you think the auction house would do better than eBay then you need to work that into your calculation.
It never ceases to amaze me that people do not understand the real world effect of AH fees regardless of whether they are deemed buyers' premiums or sellers' fees. Unless you believe people bid without regard to buyers' premiums and are like OMG WTF just happened when they get added on for the 1000th time, the effect is to depress hammer price and therefore they cost the seller, not the buyer. We've been over this 100 times.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-17-2021 at 03:06 PM.