View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 12:16 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That is one of the worst looking Goudey Ruth 144s I have seen. And after juice it's already over 30k? Maybe it's a registry thing because I wouldn't pay 5k for it unless it was to flip. I couldn't own it and look at it everyday. My last one wasn't quite up to snuff so I upgraded and it looked tons better than this 7, it was a 4. That is one ugly card to me. From their write up-

" GEM MINT reverse and pin point sharp corners give this example a 9/10 in the eye appeal department in our view."

Whomever "our" is certainly isn't a collector. Because of the sharp corners and great looking back I would give it a 2, at best.

As for the Wagner. Ugh..... what the heck? I agree they should return the make up they put on him. I honestly think I liked it better unrestored. It looks fake now.,
Totally agree Leon. Fading is just not a priority for the TPG's in my experience. Having recently put together my '33 Goudey set, and having vivid colors near or at the top of my personal list of what's important to me on that set, I found that grades were mostly independent of fading/color saturation/whatever you care to call it. It bothers me much more than rounded corners, and presented a significant challenge to me as I built my set.

Good excuse for me to show off my #144 SGC 2 once again. I challenge the 7, stamp and all!

successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson

Last edited by chadeast; 10-15-2021 at 12:24 PM.