View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 11:15 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Just speaking about the hobby in general and auctions.

Using your example of the 66T Mays, you can buy that card at any price ranging from about 10 bucks up to the 8k range in a mint 9. There are people that have very deep pockets that want the best and many strictly focus on the number on the holder for registry sets. On the other end of the spectrum there are people with less money or even people that just aren't that fussy about condition. It's the beauty of this hobby I think. We all can find a place somewhere on that spectrum. Personally, I enjoy high grade cards while at the same time enjoy and appreciate beat up cards that were well loved and tell a story. Some won't go higher than a certain grade, some won't go lower for reasons such as money, preference, or whatever. Do you want the same card in a lower grade for about the price of a cup of coffee or do you want that card in a higher grade for about the price of a decent used car? It's just how it works.

As far as auctions go, they are just simply unpredictable. The 8 you are referring to sold for over 3k I believe. Just less than 2 weeks ago an 8 hammered at a little over 1.4k. Did the value really go up that much in that period? Doubt it. I didn't look at either card, but maybe you can assume the one had nicer eye appeal, better centering, etc. Then throw in the unpredictability of auctions with people throwing money around to win just to win regardless of price. Oh and shill bidding is a whole different topic, but that exists.

Last edited by oldeboo; 10-28-2020 at 11:21 PM.