View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 09:56 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Help me understand a couple of things here about auction houses. I'm fairly new and have only spent maybe 10k-15k at proper auction houses.
For me the auction houses that stand out are the ones that I can call and they pick up.
LOTG? You want to talk to Al? Just call him up, he's a man of integrity and runs a good auction house.

Prestige? Aquarian? Cleansweep? Greg Morris? All stand up guys, I'm sure I'm missing plenty more. Heritage? Good house, you get what you pay for and they're very professional.

I don't have to list the auction houses that don't have any of the attributes of the people I've mentioned, you know who they are.

Margin: 30% margin is thin in any business, if you've ever run one you know that. These small to mid level guys aren't getting rich. I'm assuming that's why Al called it LOTG not LOTPM.

Shipping: if I spend a couple grand with you I want my package to come wrapped and insured like a Cadillac not like some white trash low brow maybe it will arrive safely if at all to save a couple bucks vehicle.

Auction house cards are cards for my personal collection not to flip, they're special, they should be treated that way, that costs extra. That doesn't mean we shouldn't call bullshit when houses try to take advantage but let's keep things in perspective.

2 cents given...
Phil Lewis

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-27-2020 at 07:47 AM.