View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Larry

Default '60's stars and HOF'ers stolen; viking funeral for McGwire cards?

I had separated all of the star cards from my youth (mostly '60's cards, with plenty of Mantles, Mays', Aarons, Koufax's, etc.) out from the commons somewhere around 1982, and temporarily placed them in the trunk of a 1970 Mustang I owned (I don't recall exactly why). The Mustang was stolen, then later recovered and returned by police with a brand new stereo system that had been added by the no longer at large thief, but alas, the cards were gone, never to be seen again, along with a lot of very early stratomatic cards. I think I would rather the police recovered the cards than the car!

I also used to be quite the Mark McGwire fan, with emphasis on "used to be." After the steroid scandal enveloped him, I seriously considered intentionally reducing the population of quite a few Mark McGwires permanently, and still do from time to time. At times, I have thought a viking type funeral would be appropriate, with the cards placed aboard a toy boat, set ablaze in a fire that would burn slowly, and pushed out into the deeper areas of a pond or lake! Still have them, though, along with a heavily game-used bat from 1992, which used to be one of my most prized possessions. But I wouldn't make any bets that the bat and the cards survive forever.

Good thread!

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-28-2011 at 12:39 AM.