Thread: News from SGC
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2022, 05:23 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
If I am running PSA I’m not sure I see the beauty of buying SGC. What am I adding if I buy them? PSA already has everything they have and then some. The only reason to buy them would be to close them down and stamp out competition and the government doesn’t look favorably on that tactic.

Agree, but wonder if maybe CSG shouldn't take a look at such an acquisition. They have at least as much, if not more, business background and experience than SGC, as well as financial backing and resources, it seems. They just happen to be the newest recognized card TPG out there, and thus have that hill to climb against the more well-established, longer standing TPG competitors out there. A move such as acquiring and combining what they do with SGC could be a huge factor then in their competing with the other main TPG competitors going forward, PSA and Beckett.

I also thought I saw/heard somewhere that CSG was going to go forward with some type of registry as well, at least at some point. But being so new, they don't really have much of a data base to create a very significant registry......yet. But taking on SGC, and maybe keeping that brand for pre-war and vintage mostly, would allow them to instantly have that data base they could use and incorporate for registry purposes going forward. Would also possibly allow CSG to think about using the black sleeves in their holders, and not just make them look like copycats of SGC. Hey, if nothing else, give your submitters a choice. How nice would that be for submitters to be able to choose if they wanted their cards displayed in such black tuxedos, or not?

No idea how the ownership of SGC would view and receive such an overture, but given the video and comments of others, there seems to be a possible/potential dark underside read into their message being sent. That may be a signal that such an inquiry by CSG wouldn't just be met with summary dismissal. Just a thought!