View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 04:49 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Just curious. How much does PSA or SGC charge to grade a card with a perceived values of $100, $1K, $10K and $100K?

I think everyone knows where I'm going with this. If the TPGs charge based on the card value ($$), then they're better off assigning higher grades.

What if someone submits a card and indicates the value to be $10K but in reality, if the card is graded with a high grade and it's worth $50K. How does the TPG let the submitter know the valuation assigned by the submitter is too low?

Or on the flip side, what if the submitter assigns a value of $50K to a card (they assume a high grade) and the grade is more indicative of a $10K card, then how does the TPG provide a refund in the submitter's fee that was paid for a higher valuation of the card?

This is all pretzel logic to me.
For PSA, how it works is that there are maximum value amounts for each service level. You can submit something that is below that maximum value amount, but not above.

If your item turns out to be worth more than the maximum, then they upcharge you for the higher level of service that aligns with your actual value. You'll get an email, and they'll make you pay before they release your items. My experience is that they only do this in cases where the item clearly exceeds the value maximum.

If your item turns out to be worth less than you expected, then you just have the pleasure of having guessed high, and you pay for a higher service level than you really needed.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel