Thread: 1979 Topps
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2024, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
1979 Topps was my first year in cards as a 9 year old...I opened MANY packs and as a kid I was able to put 2 sets together, so did my brother. We couldn't get enough. Not scientific at all, or have knowledge what so ever, just my kid memories...but we didn't even know a Bump Wills "Rangers" version was a real thing until we bought our first Becket price book and saw the listing. I picked up my first one at a card shop when I was 12ish, 1982ish. So however many boxes throughout an entire year of buying, we had at least 5 or 6 Blue Jay versions, no Rangers. To me the Rangers version was super rare, as in "no way, that exists??". We knew something was off as the team name didn't match the jersey...

I still love the 79s. I did have to buy a new set a few years back as my childhood set was...well...loved. I have both. I can still name the player by memory from just their picture, all 726 of them...I must have sorted and stared at those for HOURS and HOURS.
1978 was to me what 1979 was to you. When I first saw a bin of '79 cellos in a store in early 1979 I said to myself something like "you mean they come out with a new set EVERY year?"

I have to ask - with me and the 1978s, when I page through them today the ones I looked for all summer and eventually had to get from other friends' extras piles have always had a different 'look' to me - I can't articulate it better than that except maybe to say they look different to me in the same way that a 1972 Topps series one card looks different from a 1972 Topps series 6 card (if you're familiar with that difference). Does this sound at all familiar to you? It's always struck me as odd.