View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default How accurate is the PSA Registry?

Posted By: Eric Brehm

For card population statistics, it is generally better to go directly to the Population Report section of PSA's website, where population stats for all grades (including the new half grades) are given for every card in every issue, rather than trying to derive them from individual Set Registry listings, where you can only see 'Pop' and 'Pop Higher' for each card in each registry set. I think you may have to be a PSA Collectors Club member to access these population reports, however.

I'm not sure what card you are looking at, but right now there appears to be a bug in the link between the Set Registry and the PSA population data base, such that the 'Pop Higher' for cards graded PSA 9 includes the PSA 9 population itself, as well as the PSA 10 population for that card (whereas 'Pop Higher' for PSA 9 cards should be equal to the PSA 10 population only, since PSA 10 is the only grade higher than PSA 9).

For example, there are currently 28 1963 Topps Hank Aaron cards graded PSA 9, and only 1 graded PSA 10. Yet the entry for my PSA 9 example of this card in the Set Registry (Hank Aaron Basic Set) shows Pop = 28 and Pop Higher = 29; it should be Pop = 28 and Pop Higher = 1:

http://www.psacard.com/set%5Fregistry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=87608&alltime=yes&requesttimeout=9999&rank=none&tied=0

The 'Pop' and 'Pop Higher' columns appear to be correct for cards graded less than PSA 9. For example, in the registry entry for my PSA 8 1954 Topps Hank Aaron, it shows Pop = 164 and Pop Higher = 23. The current 1954 Topps PSA Population Report also shows 23 '54 Topps Aaron cards graded higher than PSA 8, including 1 PSA 8.5, 20 PSA 9's, and 2 PSA 10's.