View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 07:38 AM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHoneyToast View Post
This may be an old subject to some, but as a newer T206 guy, I had this initial impression of Cobb being a great ball player, but dirty and selfish.

Curious on everyone’s opinion here- where do you stand on his legacy as a person and ball player?

Watched a fantastic lecture from the guy who wrote on Cobb that changed my mindset. I now stand in the camp of… “Amazing player, somewhat decent guy”

Interview here:
https://youtu.be/OjbPzoboilM

Thoughts? Maybe a poll would be cool here.

Matt
That's a good lecture, but I highly recommend reading/listening to Leershen's book on Cobb.

While I do believe Stump's book to be a hackjob, after reading Leershen's book, it is also filled with non-factual assumptions to help prove the the author's point that Cobb wasn't a monster. It's also filled with great information that debunks a lot of the Stump book.

I believe the truth likely lies somewhere in-between. I don't think Cobb was a monster, but I also don't think he was a particularly great person. I believe he softened as he grew older as most of us do, but there is no doubt that he was a fierce competitor who would go to great lengths to win. He was a great player, no question, and his contemporaries back that up all day long.