Thread: CNN card story
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 07:43 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I've watched so many youtube videos and read too many articles from non-collecting reporters that I get the sense that many of the collectors aren't really dipping their toes into vintage. A lot of the cards that are going up in value are not even post-war, but junk wax and current.

I feel that we've been here before when Baby Boomers got back in the hobby after graduating from College, getting better jobs or started having children and getting in it with them.

This may be a little different because Hedge Funds and companies are getting into the hobby as a way to invest like they would a piece of art. I think that's real stupid way to go by the way. I also think that collectors or investors go in on one card, sell it and split the proceeds, or keep it and sell at a later date and the latter can become very challenging if a conflict arises.

Personally, I dont think Hedge Funds have any business in the hobby and all the crazy money is from stupid purchases by people who lack any hobby knowledge or common sense. It's just my opinion but I was around during the crash of 1992 and remember how collecting modern cards was back in the 1980's and there was a lot of speculation gone wild.

Again, I dont see a lot of hobby knowledge with these new collectors and it appears that they're treating the hobby as a stock market. It doesn't seem that they care about the cards, players or hobby except that it's a quick buck based on speculation...or gambling. These guys seem like day traders to me?