Thread: New SGC updates
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
This is a little dramatic don’t you think? I don’t look at the pop charts and am sure you have great points. Why not reach out to sgc ownership and let them know you’re concerns vs airing a laundry list of grievances on a chat board. I think you should go ahead and cross all you’re cards to psa. Good luck with that. They are a dumpster fire.

I believe I have Dave’s contact info in you want to pm me. He’s pretty accessible.

Happy collecting

Toby Petersen
Thanks for your opinion Toby, but no, it’s not dramatic. In fact it was intended exactly as I did it. I have many rare and expensive cards, and I rely heavily on the pop reports to make decisions on whether and for how much to acquire (and/or sell/trade) a card. I think many here do too. And for that reason the SGC and PSA pop reports directly impact card valuations and the value of collections. SGC has effectively eliminated their population report for pre 1930 cards- the database is so unsearchable it’s useless. I purposely aired my opinions strongly and publicly hoping that it will get more attention (and maybe others will join), than a phone call or email, which I understand from other posts are going unanswered and unreturned anyway.

I am on record numerous times that I prefer SGC over PSA (from a grading perspective), but I have also watched (year after year after year) the value of SGC slabs lose ground to the value of lesser cards in PSA slabs, and it’s all because of the PSA database and registry. What SGC does with its website and its pop report affects the value of every card sitting in an SGC slab. And this recent debacle is no exception. So I am pissed, very pissed. As should others who have cards in SGC slabs should be.