View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 01:19 PM
Eric Perry

Joe Collins, pictured here on card #21, was nearing the end of his 10-year career by 1956. He spent the entirety of that decade with the New York Yankees, playing multiple positions along the way.

Collins is shown here as a first baseman, leaning in and attempting to apply the tag on a runner there. I find it interesting to look at the way this runner is standing on the bag. If he were legging out an infield single, one would expect him to be running straight down the line. If he rounded first (or took a lead) and was trying to get back, I would think his lead foot would be on the base.

Instead, the runner seems to have taken a somewhat circuitous route back to first. Combine this with Collins' awkward, almost stumbling body position. It seems to me this was an exciting play to watch in real time. If the action shot on this card was created by using a photo, I applaud the photographer for seizing the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-UNPOSTED-21-Joe-Collins-(Front).jpg (80.1 KB, 247 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra