View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 06:53 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
That is a great article, thanks for sharing. So in China, there is an art bubble and hoodie-wearing millennials are going to take a bath on Simpsons art work, I get it. My question is this - given that, is it unwise to buy a Picasso or Norman Rockwell, even if the prices on those pieces are high (because o not because of the Chinese Art surge)? Bringing it back to earth, assuming we are in a card bubble, would you still be bullish on Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, 33 Lajoie, 35 Nagurski (I.e., blue chip players and iconic cards), or do you sit out on the whole asset class?
Ryan, my presumption is that your question is a rhetorical one; i.e. that you still believe it makes sense to invest/buy the blue chips you reference despite the possibility of a bubble. (If I’m wrong in that conclusion, please correct me.)

But if I’m accurate in my interpretation, then how do I reconcile that point with the earlier comments on this thread when you called the purchase of a centered Walter Johnson portrait “not right” and “dumb money.”

Is it only “smart money” to buy the blue chips in which you have a vested interest?