View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reflections on 30 years of the Philly Show

Since 1981, I have continuously done the Philly Show. And, this past weekend at Valley Forge, I have set up at my last show there.

It all started for me when I did the famous Willow Grove show in March and September of 1981. I have an endless amount of stories
I can share with everyone on this forum of my tremendous experiences at the George Washington Convention Center in Willow Grove,
Pennsylvania from 1981 to December of 1992.

Bob Schmierer (promoter) re-located the Philly Show to the Ft. Washington Expo Center, in March of 1993. This was a significant im-
provement over the Willow Grove facility. After 14 years, the Expo Center closed down, and the Philly show relocated to Reading, PA
for 5 shows Dec. 2007 - Sept. 2008.

March 2009, Hunt Auctons took over the Philly show. Relocated it to the Valley Forge Convention Center, where it's been for 6 shows.

It's been a great run for me these past 30 years, wheeling & dealing Sportscards at this show. But, most important of all are the great
people I have met at this show....that have become life-long friendships.

I'll leave you with one of my stories......

Circa 1986....four of us were in my room at the Motor Lodge, prior to the show on Friday afternoon. Bill Mastro was shopping around a
"sharp" (the operative adjective) T206 Wagner. If I recall, Bill wanted $25,000 for it. We all took a close look at it then told Bill "too ex-
pensive". That same card is now the PSA 8 (so-called) Gretzky Wagner.

Anyhow, I thought it would be more interesting to have you guys chime in with your past Philly Show stories. I am sure you have many.

Incidently, the Valley Forge show this weekend went very well for me.....several "walk-ins". I sold quite an eclectic bunch of cards (in-
cluding approx. 100 - T206's). Furthermore, quite a few Net54 guys were at my booth, including some that I have not seen in a while.
Also, Mike Peich and I engaged in a very interesting trade/cash deal.

TED Z