View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 01:15 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
Obviously, I can’t get Gibson now because he’s passed on, but can still get McLain on the 1993 cover.

250 signed SIs? Man, I’ve gotten more of 100 of them, most coming since 2019 and I’d have love to get every one I possibly can.
As a rule, I don't get covers signed that I can't complete. It would just bother me. I have the 7/5/2010 cover signed by Johnson and Jiminez. Should have could have, wish I would have taken the mail order option at one of Halladay's last shows, but I figure he would be around again and again. Nope. Now, I have a magazine that is 2/3 signed forever. I am at 233** signed covers (baseball only) and it is getting harder to add covers to the collection. If I can manage to get there, I might stop at 250. In years past SI would have 10-12 baseball covers a year, thus far in 2023, just two covers. Plus the players on the covers now usually cost well over $100 a signature. No way, I add Big Papi to the cover collection at $200+ a throw. The days of seeing players like a Andy Etchebarren, Frank Lary or Johnny Callison grace the cover of SI are long gone.

** not completely true, of the 233, one cover is signed by Brandi Chastain and another by Jennie Finch. Hey, I am human. Both are cool covers and Jennie is holding a bat.