View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 05:26 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

If the card has a series 2 back, it is a series 2 card. Series 2 was issued with a Hassan Factory 30 back that doesn't feature the series byline as well, which is where basic set checklists get confused with the series. A series 2 card has 6 backs (Mecca 30/649, Hassan 30/649, Hassan 30 without series notation, Tolstoi).

Jack Johnson (Green) breaks all the rules - it was evidently released part way through Series 1 and continued in some Series 2 sheets. I've never seen or heard of a Tolstoi back. H.J. Handy was only released in series 1 with a Mecca back, presumably pulled to make way for Johnson. It is a SP. Johnson Green is the most common card in the set. I suspect his late addition was similar to the situation with his Turkey Red.

3 cards in series 1 have spelling variations on the back, all with Factory 649, 1 confirmed with 30, 1 I suspect with Factory 30, and the last a question mark. All are tough, but not equally so.

There are series title variations on the series 3 track cards - perhaps not every card exists with this on factory 30 and 649.

I know of two blank back cards extant as well.

I think 630-640 cards exist, with a few still question marks. I'm about 85% of the way through a total master set of every combination.