View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Default White Plains Show (Best Dealer Nominee)

Posted By: T206Collector

I went to the White Plains show yesterday (last day is today, Sunday) and had a transaction with "Chet D." that was the best transaction with a dealer I have ever had. I needed the T206 Cy Young for my set and he had one for $300. I told him that I wanted to spend under $200 for it. He said he could do $200, but not less than $200 -- a strong offer to be sure -- but still I did not want to pay $200. So, I picked out a number of other T206 cards, the price tag value of which was about $600 (including the Cobb) and was prepared to pick one or two $15 cards out of the lot and offer $200 for the Young and those cards when he said that I should just take the pile, pay him $200 at the show, and pay him another $200 when I see him next time. As I was doing the math in my head, stopped me to tell me what I was coming to the realization of: this was a terrific deal. So, I walked out of the show with about $600 in T206 cards, but I only had to leave $200 short. The next White Plains show isn't until January, which gives me an interest free loan of $200 for two months, but what struck me most was his trust in me to show up without knowing my name or where to reach me with another $200 in a couple of months; putting aside the fact that his original asking price on the lot of cards I selected was, again, about $600. So....

If you are in the Westchester County area today, I highly recommend getting yourself to the White Plains show. While you are there, you should stop by Chet's table (in the middle of the room, he's got blondish/gray hair and glasses, I believe, in his late 30's or early 40's, I'd guess). He recently purchased a 200+ lot of T206 cards, many of them in very nice condition with affordable prices, but also a nice assortment of lower condition cards in the $20 or less range. He is extremely generous, and a pleasure to bargain with. If you go, please tell him that Paul (the guy who bought the Cy Young card for his set yesterday and owes him $200) sent you! He'll get a kick out of that.

In any event, I wanted to nominate Chet D. as my favorite dealer.

Paul (aka T206Collector)