Thread: Babe is back!
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 07:47 AM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Awesome card, and great to have it arrive back safely!

As far as grading standards go and PSA recertifying the grade, that's not how it works. They just give you the same grade and cert number as before. They do not regrade per today's standards. All cards with cert numbers beginning with a '0xxx' were graded in the early days at PSA when their standards were much much looser. Grades are often two full grades higher than they would hand out today. Your Ruth, while still a great card that you should be proud to own, would have zero chance at a 2 today. It probably wouldn't even get a 1.5. They've just moved the goalposts on us that much. But fortunately for you, it's still in a 2 holder, which makes it worth more on the market than it would if it were regraded today.
I've seen some pretty bad grades from modern PSA and this isn't even that bad of a 2. I wouldn't be shocked if it regraded at a 2, I've seen some horribly off-centered 10's that have no business being a 10. The business of cracking early 9's and getting modern 10's is still alive and well at PSA. My card aside I don't think that the goalpost for grading standards at PSA have moved an inch, it might have even gone backwards a touch. I tend to use SGC though for most of my personal collection though.