Thread: How I do TTM
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectbaseball View Post
Jimmy Carter is known to be really good through the mail
Jimmy Carter and Rosalyn Carter will sign care of the Carter Presidential Library at Emory University in Druid Hills, Georgia. It is my understanding that they will sign any of their books, but only one per request. They still have autopens for use. The photos below are ones I took while a member of the press (college radio) at the dedication of the Kennedy Library next to my college in October, 1979. In the mid to late 1980's I attended a small lecture that Carter gave in Boston. I had an unsealed envelope with several photos I took inside along with a letter explaining that I took them. After the lecture Carter had to walk along the side wall to leave out the front door. I handed the envelope to one of the secret service agents with him. Showing him what was inside. I learned from a fellow collector who was a Mass State Trooper and who had a brother in the secret service that the best way to get something to an ex-President at an event is to show one of the agents the item and hand it to them. They will give it to the President. This is only for ex-Presidents at smaller events. I got the envelope back a few days later, mailed while he was still in Boston. The bonus is that he backdated the first photo to when he was President.

I have a friend in Atlanta who attended Emory. In the late 1990's I was in town and brought these photos along. He told me about them not signing regular items but said he would drop these off at their office. I included a letter explaining I took the photos while in college etc. etc. and that they were for me. It probably helped that the first one is drymounted for framing.
I received them back in less than a week now with Mrs. Carter's signature added. The Ted Kennedy and Caroline Kennedy signatures were both signed in person at the unveiling of the JFK statue outside of the State House in Boston.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carter-1.jpg (41.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg carter-2.jpg (74.4 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Michael B; 03-01-2013 at 12:44 AM.