View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I learned something new about the rough edge on all the Sniders. I have a Bowman partial sheet, I need to look and see who is on it.

Regarding the WAR stat. I don't know what all goes into it, but it seems to churn out the right names. Bonds and Ruth are at the top. Snider is with Joe Cronin, Fred Clarke, Larry Walker and Dale Murphy. I saw Murphy and Walker play and they were among the most dangerous batters of their eras.
From 1953-1956 Snider was 1st twice and 2nd behind Mays twice in WAR among position players. Considering the Dodgers won 3 pennants in those 4 years, a strong argument can be made that Snider should have won 2 or 3 MVPs. If that happened today, i believe Snider would have. In 1955 and 1956, the top 3 in WAR among position players in MLB were Mantle, Mays and Snider both years. At his peak, Snider was in the same class as Mantle and Mays and those who saw him remember how great Snider was at that time. He just didn't have the longevity that puts Mantle and Mays among the all time greats in the game's history.