View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 05:38 AM

I don't think there is a question as to which of these guys has accomplished more but consider this:
  • Betts is as exciting as any player in the game to watch
  • his postseason play this year was top-notch.
  • will continue to be in the postseason consistently
  • has 392 million reasons for everyone to carefully track his progress
  • regardless of the Mantle/Mays comparison Mookie delivers with his glove in a way that is reminiscent of Mays.
  • he has a loyal fanbase on both coasts.

These are on top of his numbers which as everyone has pointed out are really good. Not Trout numbers yet, but he's certainly pulled a chair up to the table. He's stealing the heart of the baseball world and that will drive his cards. Will they ever be as big as Trout? That's hard to imagine but I never imagined Trout's cards would get to where they are. If anything I think people are going to ask this exact question more and more frequently and turn to Betts cards. Trout cards are exploding right now. The PSA 10 '11 Topps Update is selling for $2300+, Betts cards are going to rise too. Betts cards will get pushed up just by being comparable to Trout. He doesn't have to be as good, he only has to be in the conversation and comparable- because truly no one else in the game is comparable to Trout. They won't eclipse Trout until he's eclipsed Trout but I certainly expect them to continue trending up. He's a savvy player to collect right now. If Trout cards continue to break records the demand for his other rookies will follow, and by being in the conversation with Trout, Betts cards will shadow that climb. Make no mistake Trout is driving the demand and it's sky-high right now but Betts cards will benefit. I don't see Betts' superfractor selling for $3.93 million, last I saw it sold for $79,200. It's got a LOOOOOOONG way to go- but if he continues to turn heads as he has and remain comparable to Trout (and assuming Trout keeps playing at a high level) they'll keep going up. I wouldn't be shocked if his cards climbed faster than Trout's did. A lower ceiling with a steeper curve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mookie Betts Superfractor.JPG (74.3 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by infielders3; 11-19-2020 at 08:11 AM. Reason: proofreading, added Betts Superfractor image