View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 01:14 PM
Kenny Cole

If you assume that the person sitting on the right in the first photo is actually Oms, it is highly unlikely that the person standing behind him is Smokey Joe. To my knowledge, Williams played for Habana in 1911, Fe in 1912-13, and maybe a couple of games for San Francisco in the second half of of the 1915-16 season, although the San Francisco team dropped out of the league pretty early once the second half started. That's it for his Cuban tenure so far as I'm aware.

Oms would have been, at best, 21 by the second half of 1916 and at least from 1910 to 1914 he is reported to have been playing semi-pro, sugarmill and sandlot ball for Pastora, Dobargans and Santa Clara. From 1915 to roughly 1920, he played mostly for La Tosca, although in 1917 he played for the Cuban Stars East in New York some. He didn't start playing in the Cuban Professional leagues until 1922, so there is no overlap between he and Williams. I suppose, however, this photo could have been of a sugarmill team since those teams were pretty notorious for bringing ringers.