View Single Post
Old 12-29-2019, 06:46 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Both the fine art and the antiquities markets are swimming with fakes and sophisticated counterfeits yet prices and record highs in both markets continue to rise year after year. I don’t see why the sports card market would be any different. For the vast majority of sports collectors (or really all collectors) being able to A) Show it off, B) be able to say “I own it”, C) Complete a project, or D) all of the above far outweighs everything else.
I have no idea what will happen to card pricing as this fraud all unfolds but the I don’t think sportscards compare well with fine art. The pool of art buyers is significantly larger then those buying cards. It would only take a few whales to exit cards for prices to adjust.

And card values, according to the pwcc indexes are flat the past 30 months. 30 months that should have seen significant gains.

And unrelated, but I am skeptical that there will be a next generation that can absorb all of the collections that will get sold in the next 20 years. Average age here has to be mid 50s, market is going to be flooded with large collections coming to market. Is there really a second wave of collectors to absorb all of these cards are premium prices?