View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Talking

If you decide to pay the piper and buy it, think it through carefully as to whether you want to go through the tricky and nerve-wracking ordeal of cutting the cards out. Since the piece has some blemishes and minor creasing here and there, there will be definite problems that may not reward some cards with a high enough numerical grade to warrant YOUR vast investment of money, EVEN IF YOU SUCCESSFULLY CUT THESE DIAMONDS APART!

Technically, there should be some way of cutting them out, whereby each card has a portion of the dashed line border. Splitting hairs, to be sure! What a dilemma. I'd get on the phone to PSA and get a "clear cut" answer from them as to precisely what they would demand to grant each shared-border card a numerical grade. Their standpoint of whatever moves the grader's judgement as to what would have the best eye appeal is much, much too ambiguous to me. Considering what is at stake, coupled with the cost, they should be jolly well explicit so you know precisely what your choices and repercussions are. I hope PSA will somehow be compassionate towards you---ask to speak with Cosetta Robbins. Her reputation at PSA seems to be trustworthy; at the very least, she will find out what you want to know.

You must be able to make an informed decision.

Furthermore, there are collectors, I am sure, that would cherish the piece more by leaving it completely intact. Regional/food connoisseurs sometimes like their package card diamonds in the rough. As is, it makes for a perfect display and conversation piece. I totally agree with Dave Hornish; it IS very impressive, to say the least, if not less.

Wishing you the best. Think it out---what are your ultimate goals for such a piece? Is this a truly qualified opportunity to meet those ultimate goals? Or, does his high price factor in all the ultimate rewards you're dreaming of, but for which you are assuming all the risks?

Remember, he could, or may already has, approached a major auction house such as Robert Edward or Heritage, and they told him of the risks involved that HE would have to assume, and therefore perhaps this was not the automatic gold mine he thought. They may have told him that HE would have to go through the risky route of cutting the cards out, submitting them to a TPG, and THEN the auction house would handle them.

It really boils down to what is to be done with the panel, and who wants to take that irrevocable action of splitting them up.

I apologize for the long discourse. Sure hope you don't feel I just bloviated for half an hour.

----Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-12-2014 at 04:17 PM.