View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 07:10 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Well we got pretty far until somebody brought it to straight up advocating violence against politicians they don’t like. And it’s the side of “tolerance”, of course

Considering the previous discussion in this very thread about lynching…. Just wow.
Nice to see the rather negative post about politicians was edited, just because it was perhaps a bit much.

Seeing that our political discourse seems to be in a downward spiral, and wanting to not be a part of the problem, I’ve been experimenting with a different approach personally.

Naturally, there are any number of politicians that I can’t stand. Comes with the territory if it’s something that matters to you and you care deeply about. But rather than focus on everything that I really can’t stand about them, I’ve begun to focus on the things that I like about them. Sometimes it’s a short list. Sometimes it takes me a while to think long and hard until I can identify the things that I do like. But even with some that drive me nuts, I can usually find something positive to say, and celebrate those successes for our country.

I’ve found that by focusing on the positive, I’m a lot less negative about politics, and I find it’s easier to find my own zen when discussing politicians with others. Thus far, it has worked wonders when I’ve engaged in conversations with heated partisans who vehemently disagree with my own political views.

Along these lines, I’ve also stopped voting for and financially supporting politicians who insist on engaging in pandering to their base and demonizing the opposing candidate or party. Naturally, the list of candidates that make the cut is a bit shorter this way.

It may not be a panacea, but by following this approach, I feel just a little bit better about being part of the solution, rather than perpetuating and magnifying our current lack of civility in politics.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel