View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Todd Schultz

Default More on the subject of seller/auction house scans

With questions about seller and auction house scans still lingering in another thread, I thought it topical to ask more generally what scan settings you believe should be used by these folks and what reliance you place on scans when bidding. Below are two Home Run Baker cards that I have won this year, each of which has a small wrinkle or two. The scans I am using here were used by the Ebay seller Probstein and Auction house Goodwin– I will show my scans later. I do not mean to call out these businesses but the cards are easily traced anyway.

The first has a wrinkle from one border slightly into the background on the front, and both have two light wrinkles on the back. No wrinkles were disclosed in the descriptions. Can you spot them? Because I missed them.

Again, I will show my scans in awhile, which were taken at 300 dpi. All of my scans are taken at that setting, and I do not adjust a single characteristic--brightness, sharpness, etc. In fact, my scan of the Altoona Baker will likely show the back slightly darker/duller than real life simply because I scanned it with the lid up (same as on all my cards) during daylight as opposed to during evening with an overhead ceiling light.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.