View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Belltown Vintage

Leon, the funny thing is that I feel the same way about the Ruth ball he is selling.

To put it in perspective, people post bad Mantle and Williams autographs all the time, and people who know those autographs pop in and immediately say how horrible they are. Not me - I really can't tell the difference between a halfway-decent 1980's Mantle or Williams forgery and a real one. I'm sure that if one of the experts here pointed out what was wrong with them, I could learn pretty quickly, but I was given the advice that spreading myself out too thin would dilute my expertise on particular signatures that I know/am learning, and I think that is good advice.

So I get it that a few people here see similarities between this Ruth signature and a real one. I also think the shellac job is tainting their thinking.

One thing I'm sure about: given that this seller sells a lot of legitimate stuff, but we've seen two forged items from differing hobby areas in the last two weeks, we will see more bad stuff from him. I doubt he's doing it on purpose - I think he just doesn't know cards or autographs, selling so many different baseball-related things that he has not become an expert on many, if any.