View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Default Invest in Stocks or Cards

Posted By: Anonymous

Collection rarity that has some popularity trumps condition rarity from an investment perspective. Let me explain - from an investment perspective - the only thing that matters is the profit potential. Buying a high grade 1952 Mantle will likely cost you something around "market" value no matter when you buy it. Buying a T208 Plank in VG condition will cost you something "around market" price - as there aren't a lot of transactions nor demand to base it on. When you go to sell the two cards (as an investor I'm assuming you don't have to sell immediately, just when the market offers you good profit making opportunity) - you can easily sell the Mantle - for market price. You can sell the Plank, it will be more difficult - but if/when demand exists (either from someone collecting Plank or the set) there is more likely to be the opportunity to set the price. Both cards are rare - but I'll take the Plank as the investment.

I have a different take on the investment angle for Baseball cards. With fewer and fewer young guys playing the game I question what will happen once the "baby boomers" truly hit retirement age and don't have the spare 10 or 20K coming in to buy memories. I think there is a strong collecting base but it may actually start shrinking. And its from that collecting base that folks progressively move into older cards.

Naturally this advice is coming from a still working middle class guy thats never made a killing in the market.