View Single Post
Old 05-31-2023, 08:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
This is not directed at you but I bet the most frequent complaint made by submitters is that their stuff was not assessed fairly. Sadly the graders are too arrogant to consider this to ever be an accurate statement and that is flavored by the fact that few collectors pick up flaws that render a card a lower grade while it might appear nicer and even fewer can detect alterations.

The present environment for grading at both PSA and SGC is overly conservative therefore I feel your comment has a great deal of credibility. Being disappointed and feeling like you were just robbed at the ATM is a familiar feeling when grades finalize.
Right. I've been submitting cards for about 30 years, since shortly after PSA started. I am admittedly not as good as I could be in catching alterations, but I can grade, and my expectations on this group were conservative in light of the current environment. But many if not most of these grades were ludicrous. Any vintage card has some tiny flaws compared to an ultra modern creation. But to translate some tiny flaw into a two or three grade deduction, I mean eff that. A mint vintage card is not a 6. I never would have spent the money for these holders.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-31-2023 at 08:33 PM.