View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 08:07 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Hi, Alan. You have a lot in your post but I will try. Any member of the registry can request an item be added. PSA takes your request and makes a decision. There are clear rules on what is eligible. 8 months ago I had a bunch of WS Topps Cards with Brooks on them (1967 and 1971 Topps and O Pee Chee) but because they were not specifically about him they denied the request. I argued that his face was on the card but lost. Adding items can be very random. You can’t take 5 of the 12 player 69 Topps Stamp Panel with Brooks and send 5 in with Brooks with 6, 5,4, 3 and 2 player version stamps and expect to add each. You can only add the 12 and single. I tried to add the Clemente and Brooks 71 Dell dual stamp and was denied. They allow the single Brooks and 12 player panel. A lot of the team issued cards / photos are included but not all. I tried to add a few that were randomly denied. They are very random on test issues. Same with proofs.. I have a 10 player 61 Perforated Post sheet I would like to add but too big. I plan just submitted the 62 post cereal full panel for grading and once back, I will try to add. I am in search of the 61 post cereal full panel. The post cereal card variation is that the gray and white back? In terms of variations, that is a good question. For player masters, it is tough to do add variations that are not distinct as the peel offs. The Sportscaster with Italy variation I considered but have not followed through. I have a complete 1948 Leaf graded set on the registry and they do not permit many of the color variations out there except for the one hat color variation. Can’t explain it. Yes people do cut up Bazooka Boxes to add. Same with the Transogram boxes, action cartridge and milk duds. I cut up a damaged action cartridge but really struggled with it. The box was crappy on the back (really bad).. I have several Transogram and Bazooka boxes I would like to grade as boxes but like them raw for display. I hope this helps.
Charlie,

Thanks for the attempt to answer my questions. I really appreciate it. I guess random is the best description. I find it hard to understand why PSA includes team cards, with the pic of Brooks so small, yet rejected the World Series cards where he is clearly the main subject.

The past few years, I've tried to complete some "master" Orioles team sets to include known variations. It's been a fun way to continue to enjoy some sets I thought I had long ago completed. I guess my definition of master is a bit different than PSA. I can understand the concept that one example of each card should be enough for the PSA registry, with perhaps bonus points given for having the additional variations.

Most if not all the 1962 Post Cereal cards have slight variations. I believe it was based upon which cereal they were on. You can see from my two cards that the Brooks Robinson photo is cropped differently. Those are the type of variations I was referencing.

1962 Post Cereal Brooks Robinson variations

1962 Post Cereal #1 - Copy.JPG

I seems to me that if members of the registry are the ones submitting additions, that some of the tougher Brooks Robinson items could easily be omitted.

Here are a couple examples of some very tough Brooks cards/photos

1958 Jays Publishing photo and 1976 English Chicken Lid

1958 Jays 11 - Copy.jpg 1976 Englsh Lids (SmallBrooks Robinson) - Copy.JPG

1964 Martin Family Night and 1970 Pictures of Champions cards

1964 Martin Family Night #4 - Copy.jpg 1970 Pictures of Champions #1 - Copy.jpg

Thanks again. Looking forward to your continued posts.