View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
LOL

Were they at least asking for people with some experience? Actually, that may be a smart, calculated move on their part. If you think about it, it's pretty much only going to be old people still reading the newspaper, so maybe by advertising there they might actually come across some older, experienced collectors that already know what they're looking at.

I'd still be very curious and interested to see and read what materials and such they then use to train these graders. And they must have a documented set of standards they are all supposed to be working off of in coming up with the numerical grades they do. Why isn't that made available to the public, instead of treating it like some big secret? There is no good, logical reason for any TPG to not share that with the people paying them for their grading services. The one main thing/reason I can think of for TPGs not wanting to share that information with the public is if they did so, everyone will begin seeing and pointing out all the grading mistakes, inconsistencies and errors these TPGs turn out on a daily basis.

I do agree that TPG is incredibly inconsistent, and that's an understatement, but SGC does have "loose" grading standards made public here:

https://www.gosgc.com/card-grading/submissions
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.