View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 12:33 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
You know where that thought leads: "If you have the '67 Seaver, why wouldn't you go after the rest of the set?" This may be insane, but a few weeks ago I decided I was going to chase '67 as well. In some self-destructive way, I like the idea that the set is more difficult because of those high numbers. Anyway, with '67 I'm just getting started, but in addition to the Seaver I have maybe 25 VG range commons, and some of the bigger names on the way.

Condition - I'm not going to be any kind of snob with '67, since the high numbers themselves there can act as expensive star cards if you go for everything in EX-MT or anything like that. So on the whole there I think I want a VG range set, with the stars EX or better if I can swing that.

Thoughts? Honestly I'm here mainly for encouragement. I can't tell you how many times over the past 25 years or so even as an adult collector - I've started and then quickly abandoned the idea of doing a vintage set. I really just feel like the time is right - and if I don't get moving on this idea now, it will probably never happen.

Thanks!
Bad news out of the way first:

The '67 is a valuable set that's an expensive build. Without Seaver, it should cost around $3500-$4000 to get the rest in a raw VG-EX. Maybe 60% of that is in the remaining high numbers, even without Tom and with just 75 to get, because about half of them command $20 -$40 each even for mid-grade commons. You'll likely be hen-picking here and there and losing hair to get to the finish line.

Good news:

Along with the other advantages of having a '67, it's a great candidate for what you want (conditionwise). It's not much more expensive to get the highs in ex-ex/mt as it is in VG. And really you could say that about the whole set. You could build something really nice to go with that Seaver w/o spending a bunch more than my 3500-4000 estimate.

And of course, you're getting what many feel (myself included) to be clearly the best set of the '60s. Rookie cards of two of the very best players of the time, the best high numbers of the decade, and every superstar imaginable (as long as you're ok with a small sliver of Koufax!)

Bottom line: the advantages definitely outweigh the disadvantages, especially for your spot.

I'd go for it