View Single Post
Old 05-11-2022, 03:10 PM
J@son Per1

I would say Mays and Aaron are pretty close to parity in terms of like-for-like pricing. You can't compare the 51/52 Mays to the 54 Hank because of pop counts. To do a fair comparison you really need to get into the late 50s and beyond and it's pretty close.

I don't think vintage is booming anymore. It's probably inevitable with the market tanking and crypto crapping the bed that vintage is going to take a bit of a hit this year. I have seen signs of weakness and have sold quite a bit, although you can't have my Yastrzemskis and I don't want to let go of my Aaron RC either even if it might decline some.

I am probably in the minority but I put Henry above Willie in the Pantheon. Hank had a higher lifetime BA, and is the HR King*, the RBI King, the total base King, and had more hits, greater durability. Willie leads the War battle 156-143 and OPS .940 to .928. It's pretty close and you could make a case for either. I prefer Aaron's place in history and he also had a certain class that is hard for Mays to duplicate, not that Willie lacks class.

Some people think Willie's cards will go even higher when he passes on and I'm not so sure about that.

The '52 Topps Mays is a special card to me and it has really exploded in value in the last two years. I'll take it any day of the week over the Bowman issues. Heck I hope they all keep going up but I'm not so sure. I cringe a bit when I see guys selling vintage with the sales pitch that "it's only gonna keep going up." I am tempted to call them out on this assertion but I like to avoid internet battles whenever possible, despite them being somewhat enjoyable and a way to pass the time.