Thread: PSA Scam
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Default PSA Scam

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

This continues to boggle my mind.

Hypothetical:
A buyer will look at a used Hyundai for $1,000. He will kick the tires, look under the hood, check the fluid levels, give it a test drive and think about it for a few days. Even though the seller says the Hyundai dealer gave it a thumbs-up, the seller will still bring it to his mechanic for a thorough inspection.

Now offer a T206 Cobb with a PSA label (or SGC) for $$5,000 and it will be blindly purchased, no questions asked. The buyer will not send it anywhere for another opinion or make any effort to educate himself (or herself) on what to look for or how the grading standards work.

Wonder if this happens in the majority of other high-end hobbies as well?

This is why I prefer Beckett. Their holders are virtually indestructible and they were smart enough to ask for opinions to improve their product...no ego's. The UV protection and cards that don't slide around just add to the overall security. All my top cards have or will be crossed for those reasons.

Sorry to say but PSA and SGC are making it too easy for the slab and/or flip doctors. Even though they know the security flaws or areas of needed improvement, nothing seems to have been done or attempted to make a better product. Their holders can be used to dupe buyers all day long. If all remains status quo, it will continue to get worse which may devalue the legitimate cards.

Kevin Saucier

------------------------------

www.AlteredCards.com - in-depth education on advanced card doctoring techniques & detection with detailed examples