View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 04:56 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
I'm wondering (and surely hoping) there may be an issue with the audio for Walter. It almost sounds like he inhaled some helium in places.

Edited to add: I've noticed this effect many times before with early talkies. One example that comes to mind is that clip of Ruth and Ruppert when Babe is signing his contract. You'd almost think that somebody has come up with a way of digitally restoring the audio to a truer semblance of what we should be hearing. They likely have and I haven't looked it up.
I've heard a lot of WaJo audio, and although there could well be some distortion due to the technology of the time, he did seem to have spoken in a high-pitched voice. I described it in my book as a "midwest plains twang." If you want to hear something quite similar in a much more famous voice, Google some Will Rogers audio clips. Rogers was born just s few miles south of Walter's birthplace of Humboldt, Kansas, in Southeast Oklahoma, and I suspect that this was the prevailing accent in that area.