View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 11:35 AM
J Stone

Darren -

The way the micro-share deal is structured, there isn't a financial windfall so it's still Mario Mendozas for me!

It's a complicated deal and to be honest not the smartest investment one would make but it was all laid out in the offer. With a little background in finance I knew exactly what I was getting into. The ownership format is a relatively new thing, and it's a way that a schmoe like me can have a small interest in a really good horse. But in all honesty is really structured to benefit the main owner, Spendthrift Farms (B Wayne Hughes, who founded Public Storage).

Had he run 2nd, we probably would have gotten about $12 each. The return on the (small) investment may come if he is a successful sire at the end of his racing career, but in a best case scenario where he's the hottest sire in the US, I'm looking at maybe $100/year but the reality will likely be much less.

I have to say the thrill of watching him unexpectedly win and getting a winner's circle picture with my name as an owner was well worth the $200 investment, even if I never see a penny of it back.