View Single Post
Old 08-20-2023, 02:00 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
My OLD SCD Standard catalog mistakenly shows them as 1956 ( not 1954) All Star Photo pack lists 17 WITH Avila and Garcia but not Eddie Robinson. Others are:

Boone, Campy, Dark, Kuenn, Mathews, Mays, Minoso, Musial, Newcombe, Reynolds, Roberts, J. Robinson, Schoendienst, Snider and Williams.

Here is a Lelands listing that says there are 30 in the set:

https://lelands.com/bids/1954-all-star-game-photo-pack

What 17 are in your pack?
This Leland listing is definitely in error. They include 14 Yankees as part of the All-Star set and we all know 14 Yankees were not part of the 1954 All-Star team. In addition, there is a 1956 Yankees team set that includes those 14 players plus 9 others (for a total of 23 photos). I think this is where the Yankee photos in the Leland auction are from. I also wonder about the other photos included in the Leland auction referenced above. And the reason for this is because the size of my 1956 Yankee photo set Mantle is different from the size of the 1954 All-Star Mantle that I have.

20210303_065722.jpg

The All-Star photo is on the right. So, either my All-Star photo is trimmed (which unfortunately is a possibility), or the All-Star photos are slightly smaller than the Yankee set photos. If the All-Star photos are smaller and if all of the photos in the Leland auction were the same size, then none of them could be All-Star photos. I can't put my hands on my Mantle All-Star photo, but the Yankee photo set Mantle is 8-7/8" tall by 6-1/8" wide. What size do you have for your All-Star photos?

For what it's worth, which probably isn't much, PSA lists 20 players as part of the 1954 All-Star set - Ernie Banks, Larry "Yogi" Berra, Ray Boone, Roy Campanella, Alvin Dark, Al Kaline, Ralph Kiner, Ted Kluszewski, Harvey Kuenn, Mickey Mantle, Ed Mathews, Willie Mays, Orestes Minoso, Stan Musial, Allie Reynolds, Robin Roberts, Jackie Robinson, Al Schoendienst, Duke Snider, and Ted Williams.