Thread: BST Flippers
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 05:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Personally, the only time I've sold cards that aren't dupes is when another hobbyist does the "I need it for my collection" angle (of course doing due diligence and be sure of its truth). If the card will mean more to them than me, I let them have it. As often as not, I don't even charge and just mail them the card for nothing. I'd like to think we reap what we sow, and I know I've been the beneficiary of this many times, securing cards not really on the market for a fair price (or sometimes even less than fair) because the seller knows I am passionate about that set and the card has great significance to me. Treating this hobby as a vehicle for money is, I think, not fun and ruins the magic. I prefer to try and enjoy it as a hobby and pay it forward and help fellow hobbyists when I can. It's been more than repaid in kind, and I think this type of approach to selling and trading and giving is much preferable to trying to shake loose every penny I could get from another collector. It's a much happier place when true collectors are helping each other and rooting for each other rather than trying to exploit every dollar. I'd rather leave bucks on the table and collect happy than take every scrap off the table and worry about how much my collection is worth.

But then again, I guess I'm old school and I haven't made a penny off this hobby (quite the opposite, in fact).