View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Default Best way to build the monster?

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

The truth is you'll need to establish a style or system that will keep you going. If you start with the big 4, that's no good for most folks. How long will it take to get enough cash set aside to buy one of those? It would be frustrating, you'd quit.

Maybe start out with shooting for at least one player from each major league team. There are about 390 different players in T206 (I forget the actual number), you could shoot for at least one card of each player, first. Or go for all of the major leaguers, I think there are 389 of those. 134 minor leaguers... I recall that after I had a hundred or so, I focused on getting the southern leaguers. Once I got all of those, I then got all of the minor leaguers. Then I tried for at least one of each player. Today I lack a dozen cards...

So you need a style that you can sustain.

The idea of picking up bargains or groups is a sound one. It takes a bit of discipline to buy a 12 card group, especially if you already have 3 or 4 of them. But usually, you can buy 12 then sell the less desirable of your 4 duplicates, individually, and you don't end up with much money at all in the ones you kept.

So develop a plan, and be flexible enough to buy a bunch or a bargain, if one comes along. It is a journey, 524 steps, take a few at a time, be content to get half a dozen steps away and admire the view from there...