View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 01:15 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Honus Wagner batted baseball

A very cool find. A baseball batted by Honus Wagner at the Polo Grounds.

There is a vintage typewriter typed label wrapped around the baseball it reads:

"To Junior Maclean, Here is a baseball that was batted into the grandstand of the Polo Grounds about 20 years ago by the famous Hans Wagner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. I will let you guess how it came into my possession. Your dad has told me that youare a regular baseball fan, so I am psssing this ball along to you with my best wishes" signed Fred W. Miller Sept. 16,1929

The original owner of this baseball which came from Cambridge, Mass. found 4antique baseballs while cleaning out the attic of the house partially built in the 1890's that belonged to their grandfather. Their Grandfather's brother was Hugh "Junior" Maclean. Junior Maclean was a die hard baseball fan. This info was given to me via the husband of his great niece.

Of the 4 baseballs found in that attic, 1 was blank, 2 were signed to Hugh "Junior" Maclean, and this one was typewritten to him. The other 3 baseballs were all vintage with autographs of major leaguers from the 1910's and 1920's. Which leaves me no doubt as to this balls authenticity. I have pictures of those other balls and being a buyer and seller of vintage balls I have zero doubt on this balls authenticity.

Sold for $1500 on Ebay in 2013
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honus1.jpg (72.3 KB, 735 views)
File Type: jpg honus2.jpg (73.7 KB, 725 views)
File Type: jpg honus3.jpg (72.4 KB, 733 views)
File Type: jpg honus4.jpg (74.0 KB, 734 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-02-2020 at 03:33 PM.