View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 12:22 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I'm not disagreeing with the players, per se. I'm a Reds collector, and the Reds were left out. Eric Davis was absolutely a huge name by 1990, comparable to Bo Jackson. Chris Sabo had a monster year in 88, but got injured in 89... so I understand why he wasn't chosen. I also question leaving Griffey Jr out of this set, as he was a mega hype machine immediately. Will Clark & Kevin Mitchell represents the Giants, who were in the 89 World Series, but there are no Athletics (Canseco and McGwire), no Dodgers (Valenzuela, Gibson, Hersheiser). I'm sure the artist was commissioned before the 89 WS, but it just seems they are missing players who would drive sales. Not having two Giants players could have helped a lot.

Anyway, I still think the artists proof is a cool junk wax idea.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Bo had TV Commercials and was a far bigger name than Eric Davis, that one is not an issue to me

Could you have subbed someone for Dwwight Gooden or Don Mattingly? Probably but remember Topps was a NY based company and those were the key figures in baseball for NY and frankly for other parts of the country

As you pointed out Will Clark was considered by some at that time the best player in BB and had just played in a WS and Nolan Ryan became a legend in 1989

But, as I pointed out, Topps logic may not be the logic someone else used so your comments especially about Big Mac (remember Canseco was hurt and missed much of 89) is relevent. Griffey -- well yes in retrospect but he was not ROY and while we all thought he was going to be great, there were already 2 1989 rookies in an 11 card set

I will also point out that my verbiage there was quite clear that we can and should hve different feelings about who should have been in this set