View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 06:43 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
How does criminalizing half the country actually make anyone safer? I see the obvious political gain of doing so. Guns exist. No law is getting rid of most or even many of the 400,000,000 guns. How do we think they are going to just disappear?
You've repeated the claim that half the country is going to be criminalized half a dozen times. Are there actually any legislative proposals that would do this?
If you ban future 18 year-olds from purchasing a semi-automatic weapon, that does not criminalize people that already own such weapons.

While I think that having a mandatory buyback of semi-automatic weapons would help make our country safer, no one is proposing this. We are not Australia--there just isn't the political will for such a measure and I think almost everyone knows it.

You are correct that no law is getting rid of most or even many of the 400 million guns in our country. And no proposed law is attempting to. No one thinks all guns are going to disappear.

I imagine you are going to come back with the slippery slope argument, that if we given an inch, anti-gun people will take a mile. But I just don't that's politically possible or even realistic to consider.