View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 04:23 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I understand the card is iconic, and a staple of the vintage hobby, but I don't understand it. Yes the high numbers are more rare, Yes it is Mickey Mantle but there are thousands of 1952 Mantles out there, hell I'd wager there is more than we think in the hands of older collectors who never got theirs graded. Just doesn't make sense to me.
"Thousands" implies that the card is actually a lot easier than what people are willing to pay, and I don't think that's the case. About 1700 PSA Mantles out there and many fewer SGC/BVG. And even if there are more raw copies in the hands of older collectors than expected, I doubt most would ever be up for sale.

At least not while those guys are still alive. And even then, I'd bet that every new Mantle that would hit the marketplace is replaced by someone who was finally able to get one (and puts it away in his own collection for good, as so many do with that card).

So I think the '52 T Mantle has been fairly accurately priced and valued, both pre and post pandemic bump