View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Jeff P

NFL kickers are so good at drilling kickoffs through the uprights now that I'm surprised more situations to try a fair catch kick haven't occurred in the NFL recently. Probably because most teams forced to punt in a close game are going to punt it out of bounds. On a last second kickoff, teams usually squib it as well.

My understanding is that a fair catch kick is a legitimate field goal attempt and if someone made one from farther than 64 yards it would be considered the longest field goal in history.

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Jeffrey- The mention of the "Fair Catch Kick" on the Ken Strong card brought back some fun memories.

About 8 or 9 years ago I was broadcasting a local high game on local cable and right before half the rule was put into use. A visiting player called a fair catch at mid-field and theie coach declared the free kick option.

I was aware of the rule but was not aware that an unlimited run-up to the ball is allowed. The ball was placed on a kickoff tee and a 270 lb. lineman took about a ten yard run-up to the ball and kicked it through.

The points were the deciding margin at game's end. Fun stuff.