View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
I'm definitely curious as all hell to see how high it can go.

I do agree with Craig about the whole Rogers acquisitions making it possible to find another, but I still think this is gonna get a LOT of action towards the end. The fact that in terms of the hobby, it's gotta be one of (if not THE) the most recognizable images of any player, doesn't hurt the fact. Saying that this could rival the Horner portrait of Wagner in terms of significance and price isn't hyperbole, and certainly, something that iconic is bound to make a lot of people super passionate (especially those with deep pockets) as the clock winds down.

No matter what, if you're a photo collector, I think you gotta smile knowing that this will bring more positive attention to a part of the hobby that is still capable of growing by leaps and bounds.

And Craig, any idea where/when this photo was taken? Obviously it was before the start of the '51 season, and I've seen a lot of other photos of him from the same ballpark, but I've never been able to track down a date. That sort of info would be vital for a painting!

Graig
Hi Greg - good to hear from you again! The date is 3/19/51. The ballpark is more difficult. The Yankees began their 1951 spring training in February at Phoenix, Arizona (switched from Florida for only this year).

I have several classic Type 1's of Mantle dating from Feb 5 - 28, 1951 in the same Phoenix ballpark ( as indicated by the signs in the background ). These all appear identical to the portions of the signs that can be seen in the '52 Topps photo (especially the original Corbis image which has not been cropped).

The Yanks began their '51 exhibition games with a three game series against the Cleveland Indians at Tucson, AZ on March 10 - 12. They then went on their west coast tour starting in Hollywood, then SF, Oakland and winding up at Bovard Field, USC on 3/26/51.

I also have several iconic '51 Type 1's of Mickey (LH vs RH, Kneeling with bat looking pensive, '51 Bowman pose, etc.) and on those which still have a paper caption, LA is listed as the location. However, since the signs in these somewhat later photos appear to be identical to those in the earlier photos listed above in Phoenix, my guess is that the Yankees training camp in Phoenix, Az is indeed the location of the '52 Topps photo.

In addition,since the captions for these LA photos are all rather generic and simply used to add even more hype for the new "wunderkind" as he arrives in each town, I believe they just used photos of Mickey that were taken between Feb 5 and early March in Phoenix.

Hope this makes some sense. I could be wrong but based on the photos that is my best guess.

Cheers,

Craig