View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Default The biggest one you let get away?

Posted By: Greg Theberge

For baseball, it was part of the same lot that Dan posted in the McGreevy's 3rd Base thread (lot #865 bottom right corner - the exterior photo of Nuf Ced's original liquor store). A fellow collector friend was to bid on this lot and we were going to split it. He really wanted the upper right photo (I wouldn't have minded it either) and I really wanted the lower right photo. Something happened and we didn't win it. Oh well. He ended up getting some other nice lots and so did I (and we didn't end in the poor house at the end of the morning) so all's well. Does anyone know who won this lot by the way?

That one hurt for only a little bit. There was once an incredible Narragansett beer tin sign (c.1900) that we had the opportunity to buy back about 25 years ago. We passed on it at $1500 (back then a lot of cabbage for a sign). Am constantly reminding my dad how we blew that one. We did manage to get it photographed for our book though - which constantly reminds us how we blew it every time we look at it.

Of course, there are other missed opportunities ou there, but no major regrets based on the price (just missed a nice 1912 Red Sox pin in the last Hunt's auction as a matter of fact).

Greg